Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Managing Time

Are you managing it or is it managing you? How often do you find your writing time getting lost in the shuffle of email, social media, blogging, etc? What can you do to get a handle on it?

After struggling with this issue on and off for years (I'm not the most organized person you'll ever meet. Housecleaning for me comes in the form of -- OMG someone is coming over? Quick! Get the vacuum out, put away the clean laundry, hide the dirty, etc.), I have finally come to the realization that I need to block time that can be used for nothing other than writing. Sounds obvious, but it can be tricky to do.

What works best for me is small chunks. I might know I have even a long window of like four hours to work, yet if I'm not careful, it'll all get eaten up by junk online time. So lately I've been blocking a portion of that time, often in the middle, when writing is my top and only priority.

So far it's working for me. Maybe it'll work for you, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment